"If our devotion is to the cause of humanity, we will be quickly defeated and broken-hearted, since we will often be confronted with a great deal of ingratitude from other people. But if we are motivated by our love for God, no amount of ingratitude will be able to hinder us from serving one another."
~Oswald Chambers

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Countertops - Step 3 I did it!!

After allowing the faux finish to dry for 4 hours per instructions, I sanded the surface down with 600 grit sandpaper and then wiped thoroughly clean (2x) with a damp cloth. Then I applied the top coat of sealant.  Thankfully, Shawn got home right after I had begun.  I was so nervous.  You have to work quickly with polyurethane or it leaves marks.  He was able to reach way back in the corner spot for me.  He gave me a few pointers and even offered to finish it for me if I wanted.  I declined as I like to learn new tricks myself.  I'm quite certain that he would have done a much quicker and professional job than I, but heck - I'd come this far, right?! I might as well see the project to the end.

I waited another 4 hours, sanded and wiped clean again and then applied the final coat as thickly as I could.  Shawn and the boys were quite impressed.  "You actually pulled it off!" Shawn said.  He wasn't quite sure what to expect as he hadn't seen any of the tutorials or pictures before I got started.

It dried overnight.  They say you can use your countertops again after a 24 hour drying period.  Shawn suggested waiting a bit longer if possible.  Will do!

Tips:  work quickly.  Lay it on, level it out and leave it ALONE, no matter how much you want to go back over a spot.  Don't.  Make sure you have good lighting so that you can see if you are overlapping without a line.  

 I echo the other girls who've gone before me with this kit, "Pictures just don't do the end result justice."  But hopefully, you get an idea of the transformation.

 I'm beyond pleased!
I apologize that my posts are long and drawn out.  I posted as I went so that I wouldn't forget anything once it was completely finished.
After they have cured long enough to put items back on the surface, I'll post a before and after picture.

2 comments:

eleanor katherine said...

hey it's ellie. :) Beautiful job I LOOOVE them!!
miss y'all so much! Say hi to everyone!
xoxo

lisaqshay said...

Hi Ellie!!! Thanks, honey. I will tell everyone hello from you. Miss you so!
xoxo